Monday, November 13, 2006

Sometimes the Woman Doesn't Show Up

My friend is married. I feel strange when I say that aloud to myself. It feels even less real than when I was saying, my friend is going to be married.

Saturday was the big day. Despite our best efforts, it started a little shakily, with a slow hairstylist, unusual traffic patterns, a lost photographer, a pastor who casually mentioned to the groom that Taiwanese brides don't always show up, and a ceremony that began 40 minutes later than it should. But it all worked out in the end. We were even treated to a lesson on relationship statistics and a recitation of a Peanuts cartoon from the wonderful pastor.

After the ceremony, everything was peachy. The luncheon was yummy, the photo session at the greenhouse was fun, the ring bearer kept us entertained, the limo ride was enhanced with champagne, the bar at the reception was open, the speeches were short and funny, and the slideshow was a tearjerker (in a good way).

Someone asked me if this experience fueled any desire to get married myself. I have to say that it hasn't really changed my opinion of it: marriage is a nice thing, but it's not the only thing. I am ridiculously thrilled for my newly married friend. If the same should happen for me, that would be great. Until then, I'm not sweating about it too much. I'll just sit over here with my eyes open, eating my cake.

CONGRATULATIONS, J & M!

"With all of my heart, you know I'll always be right there"

No comments: