Monday, September 17, 2007

Observations

I originally wrote this blog on August 11 but I never got around to publishing it. Better late than never I guess...

I was walking through a department store, and I noticed that they had set up a huge display of chocolate right beside the swimsuits.

I saw a pedestrian get hit by a car today. I was waiting at a traffic light, not really paying attention to anything, when I heard a "whump!" sound, and looked up to see a woman toppling into the middle of the street on the other side of the intersection. At first, I asked myself if the woman had just fallen out of the minivan that had stopped. But seeing a younger woman jumping out of the driver side of the minivan and checking on the middle-aged woman in the street gave me the impression that the minivan had been turning left and didn't see the woman crossing. It was a low-speed impact and the middle-aged woman was conscious, but it was still a semi-shocking experience. When the light turned green, I was in the right lane and there were cars behind me. It wasn't a hit and run, and there were far more accurate witnesses on the opposite side of the street, so I drove slowly past the scene, where the younger woman was retrieving the middle-aged woman's purse from the middle lane.

I've discovered that I leave destruction in my wake when I pass through Europe. Two years ago, I went to London, and just over a month after I returned, the bombs went off. This year, I went to Greece, and a month later, the worst forest fire in the country's history started and killed almost 80 people. Not to mention the fact that my friend and I narrowly escaped from the tuberculosis guy in Santorini. Maybe I shouldn't go to Europe for a while.

"Hey flathead don't you mean she's the second best killer that I ever have seen"

No comments: