Monday, March 01, 2010

Putting the "Win" in "Winter"

Hello friends! A brief hiatus in the blogging but most definitely not a break in the action. It's been all go, no stop for the past few days, but I can't believe that it's over already. As per usual, I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation.

I don't need to reiterate the events of the past few days. In a word: awesomeness. The basic atmosphere that I felt in Vancouver was also there in Whistler. Our hotel was right beside the entrance to the downhill venue. The sliding centre was on Blackcomb, and I don't know if any of you have ever seen bobsleigh live, but that has become one of my favourite events. If you're willing to hike uphill, you can stand right beside the track as the sleds go by. First, you hear them rumbling towards you, and then in a flash you see something pass in front of you, and then you can feel the air displacement as they disappear around the corner or down the track. The intensity is unbelievable. And when you can go from second to third place in 1/100 of a second, it just boggles the mind. And although 50 km of cross-country skiing sounds boring (and insane), a mass start is actually really interesting. And given the final footrace to the end, where we lost gold by 1.6 seconds, it looks like we could be a contender for nordic sports in the future.

I'm just about ready to collapse tonight, so stay tuned tomorrow for the wrap-up.

"Long may it wave, and grace our own, blue skies and stormy weather, within my heart, above my home, the Maple Leaf forever!"

No comments: