Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Disease

It's been a sad start to the year, hasn't it?  A lot of amazing people have passed away from the same disease: cancer.  I still remember my first experience with David Bowie.  Funnily enough, it was from the movie "Labyrinth".  I remember watching that movie over and over, and not finding out until later on that he was a singer before he was an actor.  That movie kind of freaked me out a little too.

Alan Rickman was just about the most amazing movie villain ever, in my opinion.  But I really did like him best as a romantic lead.  This weekend I watched "Sense and Sensibility" at least 4 times (they were repeating it on TV a lot).

Then, this past week, I found out something else.  A good friend of mine from school is battling breast cancer.  This hit me in a way I did not expect.  I've known older family members, my parents' friends and my friends' parents who have fought the disease, some more successfully than others.  Still, it shocks me a little when it's someone around my age.  Not that it's less tragic for an older person (or a younger person, for that matter).  Maybe it's just all of the cases of death by cancer that I've been hearing about that made this case more significant to me.

As far as I know, she's doing okay.  I have yet to see her but it's always a slightly awkward situation, where I don't want to disturb but still want to support.  No matter, I'll find a way.  Because what's really important, anyway?  Well, this is where I find out.

"When the nurses they came, said "It's come back again", I wasn't expecting that"

No comments: