Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A Busy Bee

I know, I missed you guys too. I didn't mean to leave it for this long, but I've been busy with this. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and then it took me even longer to sneak onto my home computer (between my mom's games of mah jong and my brother's games of Rome Total War) to scan the appropriate photos. But it's funny how dedicated I was to finishing it once I made up my mind to do it. Crap...now I know what it reminds me of...yearbook...

In any case, stuff has happened in the past couple of weeks that I've been meaning to talk about, but didn't. Some of it has actually stuck in my mind without the aid of a written list, so here we go with "the list":
  • Dodging the bullet: I don't know if I'm lucky or the cops just don't care, but lately I've been breezing by the radars without getting a second glance. And I don't mean that I'm one or two kms over the speed limit...I'm talking 10-20, and I'm almost the only car on the road. But I think the guy stationed across the street from MCI was just gathering information, he didn't look up from his notebook when I passed by.
  • Speaking of Martingrove...: Have you ever witnessed a game of "chicken" where nobody chickened out? Again, this was one of those "why do I always witness these things?" kind of moments. People who are familiar with the two-lane stretch of Martingrove that passes West Deane Park know that the lanes used to be separated by the dashed yellow line, but after the construction they made it solid. That didn't stop some yahoo from passing me anyway as we came down the hill. Then he tried to pass the guy in front of me, but the other guy kept the pace, and so the two of them were hurtling towards the intersection, and into oncoming traffic. Nobody slowed down, nobody budged. By some coincidence, there was enough space between the guy in front of me and the oncoming car for the yahoo to squeeze in between, straddling the yellow line. I don't know why he was being such a jackass, the light was red anyway. And of course, it was a souped-up Honda.
  • Speaking of witnessing things...: I seem to be an accident magnet at work too. Some of you may remember me talking about "Pam" from a previous blog. Well, last week, I was exiting the office, heading towards the washroom, when I heard a shriek behind me. Pam had just exited the office and headed in the opposite direction towards the cafeteria, but had failed to notice an empty wooden skid on the floor just outside the office doorway. By the time I turned around, she was somersaulting on the floor. I was more concerned about her hurting herself than anything else, but I suppose later on it did seem kind of funny (okay, it was hilarious). I had yet to see her upset to the point of tears up until that moment. Then she was red-faced and on the warpath, STORMING into production to get them to remove the skid. By the time I returned from the washroom, the skid was gone, but after I retrieved my lunch and started heading to the cafeteria myself, Peter the IT guy was putting the skid back, looking pretty peeved and asking me if I knew which "moron" had who moved his skid. "The one who tripped over it?" I replied, before I realized what I had said. Just then Pam came out of the office and had a discussion with Peter, who then moved the skid to the other side of the door. Luckily, I don't think she heard his question, which makes my answer less insulting even if she heard it.
  • "Matt & Ben" is a really funny play.
  • A classic Ada line of questioning: "Do you do drugs? No...wait...I mean, does your company do drugs?"

"I walk this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams"


1 comment:

JSC said...

Wow Karen! Great work! Brings back so many memories... ;-)