Sunday, November 28, 2004

A Tale of Two Parties

'Tis the season for excess.

Friday kicked it off with my company's "holiday" party. None of us were in the mood to work, and of course something came up half an hour before the end of the day, so I had to rush around to get it started and then passed it off to Marianli who was kind enough to take over so I could leave. I went to Anna's place to get ready, then went to Farrah's to pick her up. We were exactly on time but there were already a ton of people there, having drinks and chatting. It was then that I realized that I would only know about a third of the people at most, but it would give me a chance to meet people I had only known through e-mail correspondence. The food was excellent, there was plenty of people-watching and gossip going on, and there was a lot of dancing. I must say, I love going to these kinds of events because you get to see people as they really are...crazy, fun-loving, and able to move their bodies in ways you can hardly imagine. Monday is going to be FUN.

Last night, we pulled another surprise birthday, this time for Boni. I went to "kidnap" her at her place, blindfolded her and put her in the back of my car. Then I got a call saying that key people were going to be late, and so I had to stall. I ended up driving around and around in circles for 20 minutes, keeping in mind that Boni was most likely counting the times I was turning right to figure out where we were going (and she was). When I got to the restaurant, I decided to have some fun and told her to stay in the car. Then I locked the doors and went in to see what was going on. I talked to the people who were there for a few minutes, then decided that I should probably go and get her, since it looked like the "late" people were going to be really late, and it was kind of cold outside. I solicited Kimmy's help by asking her to take one of Boni's arms when she got out of the car, and I would take the other, but we wouldn't say anything, allowing Boni's imagination to have a good workout. We led her in, giving "right" and "left" commands when necessary. After we got the blindfold off, and Boni was able to say hello to the people who were there, she finally asked, "Where ARE we??"

We were at Anatolia, a great Turkish restaurant near my house. It's been a really long time since we've seen Boni eat meat (they used Halal). The rest of the night proceeded well, with a surprise guest whom I had never met before, but, funnily enough, knew Cathy through the "Love Boat" program and had a mutual friend with Ada. There were also some incidents, naturally, like the waiter accidentally pouring tea down the back of Jocelyn's pants and the little girl who was sitting at the table next to us who decided to throw her book over her shoulder. But it was great seeing people we hadn't seen for several years, and after dinner the conversation carried out of the restaurant and into the parking lot for another half an hour.

Biggest laugh of the night: "I'm cold. I need some more tea down my pants."

Needless to say, I'm a little partied out today. But give me a minute and I'll get my second wind.

"Who really cares cause it’s your life you never know it could be great"

No comments: