Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Across The Crowded Room

It's January, so you know what that means.

The gym is packed.

I have to admit that I haven't been to the gym in about a month and a half. But it's a new year and another new beginning, and I'm determined to return to the "3 times a week" routine.

Sunday morning hasn't been this busy in a long time. The majority of the machines were in use, and the step class was almost filled to capacity. But I still managed to bump into Olga A. Who, of course, looks exactly the same as the last time I saw her. Come to think of it, she looks the same as the first time I saw her too. I carry very specific memories of some of the people in my past. For Olga, I will forever remember her as the wizard in the Grade 5 musical. Somehow, I'm pretty sure that she would love it if I didn't.

Tonight's step class was similarly crammed. As the previous class was exiting the studio, I bet all my money that I would see someone I knew. And sure enough...how many of you remember Lauren D.? (I can hear copies of the Panteria whipping open already)

Looking at all these women running/stepping/cycling in a row, or moving in sync with the instructor, or making small, repetitive movement with disproportionately large machines, it made me think of the things that we value. Are all these people here to improve their health? Or are they attempting to mold themselves into what we have all been tricked into thinking is the acceptable norm? Or both? And how important is it to them, really?

I guess we'll find out in February.

"If you believe it's in my soul, I'd say all the words that I know"

No comments: