Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Calling

My heart sank this morning as I listened to the news of the bombs in the London transit. Naturally, it stirred up the memories of my trip to London just over a month ago. Looking at the locations of the explosions also made me pause a little, noting that they were all in close proximity to my hotel. I, like almost everyone in the city, took the Underground everywhere every day, and became a pro to the point where I was giving directions to people who asked me. I could still hear the voice of the train's automated announcer, calling out the stations as we approached them.

Edgware Road...
Russell Square...
King's Cross-St. Pancras...
Aldgate...

Of course, my thoughts then went to my cousin. Thankfully, she's fine and was not in the vicinity at the time.

It's a little staggering to think about how one day you can be so deliriously happy, and the next day so profoundly sad. I hope that any and all of your friends and relatives in London are safe tonight.

"London calling to the faraway towns, now that war is declared and battle come down"

No comments: