Saturday, March 25, 2006

Science and Progress

I'm still humming various Coldplay tunes in my head. The concert itself was a great contemplative experience. As I sat there in the arena, it occurred to me that there were an inordinate number of flashes coming from the audience. Some of them were really quite blinding, as though they were pointed right at me. It was odd because there really wasn't anything happening at that moment; the stage was empty. But as I kept watching it, it strongly reminded me of watching a thunderstorm from an airplane at night. Looking down, you can see all of the flashes spread out over a huge distance, randomly popping up here and there. And here it was recreated for me with cameras. So natural and artificial at the same time...it was awesome.

The same thing was noted during the slower songs. Maybe a few dozen people whipped out the traditional lighters for "The Scientist", but more people pulled out their cell phones to wave back and forth. Looking out over the audience was like looking up at the stars. I'm starting to see that more and more at the concerts I attend. A strange mix of beauty and technology.

"Homes places we've grown all of us are done for, and we live in a beautiful world"

1 comment:

Kare said...

LOL ppl did that @ the Oasis concert too! I found that kinda odd... haha