Monday, August 28, 2006

The Favourite Default

My brothers and I have gotten along a lot better now that we're older. Although it's not completely harmonious, it's a far cry from the constant squabbling that used to occur when we were little. At least I can say that we will do things for each other a lot more willingly, but it always prompts a comical "THANKS (insert sibling's name here)! You're the BEST!" kind of comment.

It's become something of a joke that we pit ourselves against one another in this way. The other night, Steve asked me to help him pick out some interview clothes for him. Edmond piped in and said that he could help him out in two seconds: shirt, pants, done. Steve retorted that he wanted me to help because I was his favourite. Since he always calls me his "favourite sister", I laughed and asked, "Your favourite what?" Edmond immediately responded, "You're his favourite default, just like I'm his favourite default." Which is entirely true and which is what makes it so funny. The only sticky point is that I have to hesitate when I say who my "favourite brother" is.

"The road is long, with many a winding turn"

No comments: