Wednesday, September 13, 2006

You Are My Sunshine

I am a friggin' starstruck lunatic.

I'm sitting here, still trying to figure out why I'm going out of my mind after meeting the ONE actor at the entire film festival that I really wanted to meet. Okay, it wasn't a "meeting" per se, more like a very brief exchange of slightly coherent words that occurred while he wasn't even looking in my direction. And even now, hours later, I can tell that I'm going to continue to be weirdly excited for days on end.

So I won't go into the whole story, because it's just too long and I'll probably start giggling again (and I just stopped, so I really don't want to get back into that). I'll sort of skip to the end, where I see him leaving in a black SUV and I actually catch myself waving at him like an idiot. I decided to go eat a quick dinner at one of my favourite Thai restaurants a couple of blocks away from the theatre. There I was, sitting by myself in a cafeteria-style eatery, surrounded by dozens of really loud people enjoying their meals and each other's company, and I evaluated my current emotional state. I started off by thinking, what the hell is wrong with me? I was reduced to this quivering, hyperventilating little girl simply by having a two-sentence conversation with a guy I don't know beyond what's written on his fan sites and other online entertainment resources. He is a person, just like I am a person and everyone in the restaurant is a person. How...or why...are we like this when it comes to well-known people? Is it a cultural-societal thing? Or are we genetically predisposed to madness when we come into contact with people we know only through a public medium and not even on a remotely personal level?

I can't lecture anyone about this, since I am clearly inflicted with the same tendency to react strongly towards any and all famous people. I just wish I could control it a little better. Although I am sort of proud of the way I held it together when I was standing six inches away from him. I was so dangerously close to losing it while he was signing my ticket stub. That would have been horrible.

Oh yes, and I've learned something about myself that I would like to share with the rest of the world. Ready? Here it is:

I am a complete sucker for all British accents.

And if you're wondering about the title of the blog, it's a reference to Penelope, one of the three films my favourite actor is starring in at the film festival. As far as I know, right now only one of my loyal readers knows what it means. The rest will just have to watch the movie.

(How's that for subtle marketing?)

"Why'd you have to be so cute? It's impossible to ignore you"

2 comments:

TenderSuccess said...

Karen! I totally and completely know how you feel...

Isn't it strange how you can be otherwise completely sane, and tell yourself that you will never be like the emotional wrecks you see on tv... Then you meet one, and you have this perma-grin... and you think "ME?! Why am I reacting this way?!"

Here's to never losing the strange innocent joys of life!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I too know *exactly* how you feel. Now, anyone who knows me well knows that there's a particular someone who I've been fond of since I was 12. Between 1999 and 2006, I've met this particular someone about 8 times (no, I am *not* stalking him). And it doesn't matter how many times I meet this particular someone, I can't help but leave with - as someone one said - "a smile tattooed to my face." :D

B