Saturday, May 26, 2007

I'm Still on the Boat


The Greek Odyssey is over. I have returned, a tiny bit tanned and full of olives. Oh man, so many olives...

Overall, it was a fabulous time. Being in the presence of structures that are more than 2000 years old was inspiring. And what they say is true: you can see the most amazing sunsets from Oia. As usual, there were things that I learned, things that made me think a little, and things that totally puzzled me. Among them:

On our plane, there was a series of coloured lights right above our seats that would light up every time we heard a brief doorbell ring. We figured it was a signal to the attendants in terms of what they had to do next, such as serve the drinks or start the movie. In the row of lights, there was a red, yellowish orange, and a green light, but they were flanked on both sides by dark lights. I knew one of them was blue, but I thought the other one must be a colour other than blue, so I asked my friend, "Does the light on the end look like a black light?" She replied, "Maybe. What do you think it means?" "I don't know, death?" I realized right after I said it that perhaps that wasn't the best thing to think about as we were flying 35,000 feet above the Atlantic in the middle of the night. But every time the doorbell rang, we looked up to see which light had turned on, just in case.

After taking three high speed ferries within five days, it took a while for both of us to stop feeling like we were constantly swaying. For me, it happened almost every time we sat down to eat, which is not ideal when you're trying to enjoy your moussaka.

There is no such thing as a "pedestrian street" anywhere in Greece. No matter how narrow you might think it is, if a truck can drive through it, a truck WILL drive through it, even if it has to scrape against the jewelery display rack.

There are a lot of headless statues.

Ouzo is not bad. Even if you don't like licorice, it's quite refreshing. On the other hand, I would not recommend drinking more than 100 mL of raki by yourself. Or while you're in Oia. It's just not a good idea to lose your balance there.

The majority of European taxi drivers are maniacs.

The Parthenon in Athens has been undergoing restoration for years, even decades. As a result, there's scaffolding and heavy machinery everywhere, making it impossible to take a decent photo. Surprisingly and sadly, it looks much better at night.

I was flipping channels one night and found the Greek version of "So You Think You Can Dance". I've gotten hooked to the US version, so I watched it for a bit. It's very different, in three ways: 1) All the contestants look exactly the same, 2) the audience does nothing but applaud (i.e., there's no booing and very little cheering), and 3) there was absolutely no way I could tell by the facial expressions of the judges or the performers if they were giving/receiving a good review or not. There was basically no emotion on either side. The lack of booing didn't help either.

You're not allowed to be born or die on the island of Delos. Good place to visit.

For most of the statues and buildings that you see outdoors in Athens, chances are you're looking at something fake. They've taken everything real into museums and put replicas in their place.

Final verdict: Greece is definitely the word. If anyone wants to go, I'd be ready and willing to do it again. I only just scratched the surface.

Lesson of the day: Beware the black light of death.

"Flames to dust, lovers to friends, why do all good things come to an end?"

No comments: