Saturday, July 07, 2007

My Small Part

I have to say, Live Earth was a good idea, and it totally kicked my ass into gear. I thought that I was perhaps average in terms of being environmentally conscious. I recycle everything that I can, I try not to waste anything, and I know that global warming is for real. There is hardly a single light bulb in my house that isn't compact fluorescent. Recently, I decided to offset the carbon emissions from my trip to Greece. I have friends and family who are far more eco-friendly than I, but I listen and learn from them.

Now, after experiencing 24 hours of environmentalism set to music, I realized that I either consciously or subconsciously took a few actions throughout the day to do my small part. I haven't turned the air conditioner on in the past two days, even though it was over 30°C today (actually, this little step showed me that my house is REALLY well insulated!). When I went to buy groceries this afternoon, I bought a reusable bag. I didn't really turn any lights on during the day. I turned my computer off this morning instead of leaving it on.

I know this all sounds like I'm jumping on the bandwagon or buying into the hype, but I do feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. I'm also kind of ashamed that it took a monumental rock concert to motivate me. But I suppose that was the whole point. And now I'll do one more thing in my new quest to save the world: I'll ask you to help.

As for the concerts, I learned a lot from them too. Sneaky Sound System is a very cool band.

"I'll send an SOS to the world"

No comments: