Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Discoveries

Things I have discovered in Melbourne:

The Great Ocean Road is something that I quite honestly had never heard of before I started planning this trip.  But it's one of the top recommended things to do in Melbourne.  Okay, so it's not technically in Melbourne, but it starts really close to it.  Modelled after the Pacific Coast Highway, it was built by returning WWI veterans.  They were conscientious enough to realize that they should avoid exposing the vets to more explosive situations, so they didn't use dynamite to blast the path through the hills along the coast.  They did it all manually with picks.  Crazy.

The Twelve Apostles are a great example of what happens when you have a lot of time and a lot of water crashing around you for eons:


It was pointed out to us that there were never 12 of these to begin with (it was just a better name than the "sow and piglets", as they were originally called).  But it's also amazing to consider that these will eventually disappear altogether, and that new ones are currently forming.

If things had happened differently, I would not be in Melbourne.  I would be visiting Batmania.  Not kidding.

I had never before had any interest in cricket.  I just didn't get it.  But during these past couple of weeks the occasional lack of TV channel choices in our hotel and in almost every bar has forced me to watch the Cricket World Cup.  I also met one of my brother's friends who, not only knew the rules for cricket, but also really likes cricket.  I have to admit, it's starting to grow on me.  I even kind of understand what's going on most of the time.

"And I will stay up through the night, let's be clear, won't close my eyes"

No comments: