Sunday, July 23, 2017

New Favourite Things in an Old Favourite Place


That sign pretty much says it all.  It's funny that I didn't come across it until just a few hours before I was leaving NYC, but once again the Universe bolstered my confidence and reassured me that I had made a good decision to take a break from my crazy life and go back to one of my favourite places, even during these uncertain times.

I was beginning to think that I was running out of "new" things to do in the city, and by "city" I mean Manhattan.  I was just about to start branching out to the outer boroughs when I discovered Governors Island.  I couldn't believe that I had been coming here for so many years and didn't really know about it.  All it took was a really short ferry ride, and I was suddenly elsewhere.  Like Central Park but with far fewer people.  And, unfortunately during this recent heat wave, far fewer trees.  But the breeze off the water was refreshing, the views of the Statue of Liberty and downtown Manhattan skyline were pretty nice, and I guess it would have been really peaceful had it not been for the constant helicopters going back and forth to the seaport.  Most importantly, there were slides:


Not just any slides, but those old school bum-burner slides made of pure heat absorbing metal.  I was mildly tempted but one brief touch of the railing and my mind was set against it.  Another woman approached the slides and tried two of the three.  First, she slid down a short one, then she tried the long twisting one afterwards.  She was wearing significantly longer pants than I was, and as she slid down all she kept repeating was "HOT!"  Maybe I'll try again on my next visit.

Just before I went to the island, I went to Little Park for breakfast.  I honestly had the best New York breakfast ever:


An egg white frittata with zucchini, caramelized onions and goat cheese, served with a side of greens dressed only (as far as I can tell) with olive oil and lemon juice.  I also added a side of fingerling potatoes that were crispy and delicious.  I hadn't planned on going there beforehand.  I just asked Google for a good breakfast place and there it was.  As usual, it all works out.

I wanted to see Come From Away specifically on Broadway because...well, it's a Canadian musical about 9/11, and it was so close to winning a Tony.  What more do I have to say?  I tried getting a rush ticket but I joined the line a little late (I got to the theatre around 9:00, the box office opened at 10:00, but the guy at the front had gotten there at 5:30).  Still, I was able to get a standing room ticket, which turned out to be just fine, being dead centre at the back of the orchestra level.  Plus, at $32, the cheapest Broadway ticket I've ever purchased.  I even had a little wall with a cushioned top rail that I could lean my arms and head against, so standing for just over an hour and a half was no problem at all.  And I know it's cheesy, but watching that show made me so proud to be Canadian.  Knowing that these stories and events were based on true facts and real people made them so much more moving.

So, another successful visit with a favourite place, and a brief respite from the world.  Too brief, really.

RIP Chester Bennington

"I'm holding on, why is everything so heavy? Holding on, so much more than I can carry"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a wonderful time! I'm going to have to try to re-create this egg-white frittata : )