Sunday, July 06, 2003

Summer in the City:

In the ongoing struggle to redeem the reputation of Toronto, along comes the annual Toronto Street Festival. Always a good time to be had. Coolest thing we saw: an Australian troupe called Strange Fruit. Kind of bizarre watching six people standing 4 meters above the ground on bendy poles.

I attended my first housewarming party yesterday. A nice little townhouse in the Queen East district. Three stories with extremely easy access to the roof. There was even a little self-tour of the place, describing in some detail about things such as how there used to be an orange tree in the bathroom, or the large quantity of miscellaneous screws that were removed from the walls. I suppose the more interesting aspect of the party was the people. I knew a number of people from CUTC, so it wasn't too awkward. I was sitting in the kitchen as people were coming and going and I just happened to look up and see a very familiar girl walk by (Cassie Lee!). It turns out that she knew someone who knew one of the guys who lives at the house (Sean, to be exact; I know Kevin). We had a nice chat before the others started beating the crap out of a Spongebob Squarepants pinata. The other interesting person of the night was Jason Yuen, a guy I've known since....I guess we were about 4 years old. He breezed by me about five times without so much as looking at me. I discussed this with a friend (who also happens to be a guy) and he mentioned that guys have really really bad memories. That must be it. Of course, we hadn't really seen each other since Grade 2, but I was able to recognize him on sight...have I changed that much?

Lesson of the day: They make really good strawberry milkshakes at Spring Roll.

"All around, people looking half dead, walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head"