Saturday, August 09, 2003

I Wonder If The Acoustics Are Good...:

Taste of the Danforth is an event that I've heard many things about in the past 10 years, but this was the first time I'd ever gone. The hope that I would experience it with a familiar group of people was unfortunately dashed early on, and so Boni and I made the best of it. The food was amazing and, best of all, cheap. I was able to spend less than $10 and be satisfied, thanks in part to the abundance of free stuff.

The big lure for the both of us was to see Melanie Doane play live. I had missed a number of opportunities to see her in the past. We got to the stage early, and just as the rain started, so did the "opening ceremonies". A bunch of people were there: the chairperson of the event, the mayor, the mayor wannabes (namely the two Johns, Nunziata and Tory), the Greek Ambassador, and others. Laugh of the day occurred just when Mayor Mel was being introduced to speak. Mother Nature didn't seem pleased about it and so she cracked open the sky and poured it down on everyone, prompting Mel to keep his speech brief.

The sky cleared up once Melanie Doane hit the stage. The first thing you notice is the most obvious: she's very very pregnant. Apparently she just had her first child and went straight into the second. The change in body shape did not prevent her from rocking out. After watching her play a plethora of instruments (guitar, bass, violin, piano, and ukelele), I began to wonder how this was affecting her fetus. I mean, if my own internal organs were vibrating as a result of some very heavy bass, what could the child be experiencing. My guess is that it will come out either very musically inclined or slightly hearing impaired.

"Are you a Wilma or a Betty man? Do you drive a Mercedes or a Trans Am?"

No comments: