Friday, January 09, 2004

A Mish-Mash of Thoughts:

"Why are millions spent on the war each day, while not a penny is available for medical science, artists, or the poor? Why do people have to starve when mountains of food are rotting away in other parts of the world? Oh, why are people so crazy?"
- Anne Frank, May 3, 1944

I started reading the Diary of Anne Frank last year for my Children's Lit class and never got around to finishing it. I picked it up during my cleaning phase and have been reading it for the past few weeks. Interesting that almost 60 years later, people are still asking the same questions that she did.

Winter decided to catch up all at once. After a mild wet December, we've been hit with a cold snap that would freeze you to the bone instantly. Windchill makes it feel like it's -30C or lower. Last night was clear, and with the moon shining down on my frozen backyard, it was eerie. Even though it's been sunny, I've chosen to hibernate in my home, waiting for the weather to ease up a little. Which will happen later this weekend, thankfully.

I got some government money in the mail today (hooray!). I also got my tax return package for 2003. I just realized right now that I didn't make any money last year. Well, a little bit from my investments, but other than that, since I didn't have a co-op or regular job, I had no income. That hasn't happened in five years. I'm not sure how I feel about this. No taxes to pay makes me feel good, but no job kind of makes me feel bad. Like I said before, I feel like I am detached from reality, existing but without a purpose.

Bah...when are those people going to call me back about the job???

Lesson of the day: Chocolate does not go bad, even after three and a half years. It does, however, get a little crunchier.

"All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you"

No comments: