Thursday, September 09, 2004

Family Matters

Hallelujah...my brother got a job. For months he's been the laziest ass in the world. Each day started melding into the next to the point where every Friday he asked me, "Don't you have to go to work tomorrow?" And I reply, "No doofus, it's the weekend again." And he answers, "Oh yeah...what month is this again?" But lately he's been getting tired of the routine himself. He told me recently, "Karen, I've gotta get a job...even if it's at Canadian Tire." And lo and behold, he got the call today. I got home from work and found out that my brother got a job at a nearby CT on the spot. Well, he went in for the interview this morning around 11 and they called him at around 2 to report for work at 5. To me, that's on the spot. Right now he's doing all the gopher work but eventually he'll be in the service department. You gotta start somewhere.

Not two days after my youngest brother went back to Queen's, a letter arrived for him from the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. That's right folks, my 19-year-old brother is getting audited. I just started laughing when I found out. What, they're going to question him about those three days that he tried to sell natural gas? Or the four weeks that he did those heavy lifting jobs from the temp agency? Or whether or not he's actually a university student? Well, it turns out that it's a question about the amount of rent he paid last year. Do they have nothing better to do?

It's been about five days and my mother is still getting persistent headaches. Why? Because she spent last Sunday afternoon in Kingston inhaling chlorine bleach fumes in a closet of a bathroom that isn't even remotely ventilated. I am still incredibly pissed off at her. So my brother's bathroom is a disgusting mess. That doesn't mean you should clean it using EVEN MORE bleach than you usually use in our home bathroom that's ten times bigger (and I can usually tell that she cleaned the downstairs bathroom almost before I open the front door). On the plus side, her eyes have stopped watering and her throat has stopped hurting and her lungs have stopped burning.

Daddy...nothing to say about Daddy. Daddy's been REALLY busy lately. Daddy deserves a break.

"My mother, my mother she hold me, did she hold me when I was out there, my father, my father he liked me, oh he liked me, does anyone care"

No comments: