Sunday, September 26, 2004

More Proof...

...that I have a ridiculous capacity to retain all facts and trivia relating to pop culture and entertainment. Last week at work, we heard these words broadcast on the PA system: "Birdie num-nums". I was in Marianli's office at the time, and I just started cracking up while Marianli looked confused. Thankfully, Scott was passing by and started laughing too, since he knew who it was who had made the "announcement". I said to Scott, "It's from 'The Party'!" And he confirmed it, saying that Malcolm used to say "birdie num-nums" on the PA all the time. He figured that Malcolm decided to do it one last time before he left the company (makes sense). The next day, Scott mentioned to me that I was the only person he had talked to who knew that the line came from that movie. I was kind of shocked, for a few reasons: 1) the movie predates my existence by more than a decade, 2) it has become a classic Peter Sellers movie, and 3) given my relative youth compared to the majority of my fellow employees, I would have thought at least one other person would have seen that movie in their lifetime. In addition, I haven't seen that film since I was a preteen, but the line sticks with you long after you watch the scene. Now, in retrospect, I guess the only minor problem is that it makes fun of East Indians the way Mickey Rooney made fun of Asians in "Breakfast at Tiffany's". But it was the '60s, and I guess I can forgive them for being a little politically incorrect. So if you're bored sometime, and you've never seen Peter Sellers make a complete ass of himself, go rent it.

"There was a little Spanish flea, a record star he'd like to be, he heard of singers like Beatles and The Chipmunks he'd seen on TV, why not a little Spanish flea?"

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Watch "Being There"

If you haven't already.

It's wonderful.