Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy SAD

In the past few years, I had been celebrating this day as the annual NoMan event. But the term had always been too biased. On the other hand, NoPerson didn't have the same ring to it either. So I never changed it even though I knew it was not as all-inclusive as it could potentially be. Then I remembered a friend of mine once referred to the day as Singles Awareness Day, which sounded much better and promoted singleness regardless of the demographic you belonged to. Of course, the acronym for this occasion turned out to be SAD, which is quite frankly the most ironic thing I've ever heard.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing sad about being single. I know there's no way for me to say this without sounding like I'm trying really hard to convince myself and the rest of the world, but I'm perfectly content to be on my own at this point. There's a whole list of things that I want to experience, and being single simply makes it easier to attempt them. And it's not as though I'm against the idea of being involved with another person. If I happen to find someone with whom I can share my life, then great! I'd be the first person to say "Woo hoo!" (My mother would be the second person) Until then, I've got things to do, places to go, and people to see. So kindly step aside.

Happy SAD to all my fellow singletons.

"I'll stop the world and melt with you, you've seen the difference and it's getting better all the time"

No comments: