Monday, July 26, 2010

The Asian-ing

About two and a half months ago, one of my close friends had her first baby, a daughter. I went to visit her four days after she was born. My friend is of Asian descent, and her husband is Caucasian. Her baby was really pale, with huge eyes, dark hair and no eyebrows. I was fairly surprised. In my experience, whenever there's an Asian-Caucasian blend, the Asian gene usually wins. In very few cases have the children ended up looking more Caucasian (I can only think of one case that I know about personally). Not that it's a bad thing. I concluded that her husband was able to overcome the dominant Asian gene.

I visited my friend and her baby again today after I got off work. When I saw the little one, I discovered that she was Asian-ing out. Her eyes were smaller in relation to her head, and she wasn't as pale anymore. It's probably because her head was growing faster than the rest of her face, and now her eyes were becoming slightly narrower. It's not that surprising given that she's growing like a weed (she's almost 14 pounds!). I'm usually terrible when it comes to having an opinion of who the baby resembles, but this time I could totally see that she's starting to look more like my friend. But she also furrows her brows (which are starting to grow!) just like her daddy. She's going to be a cutie.

And the Asian Domination continues.

"Oh it's in colour, your hair is brown, your eyes are hazel, and soft as clouds"

2 comments:

Christopher Spicer said...

Your post is a helpful reminder that I've only seen that cutie on the day after her birth. I'll need to remedy that fairly quickly.

Anonymous said...

hahaha - I like your term - Asian-ing out. She definitely has daddy's nose though :D
M