Tuesday, February 12, 2013

He's A Debt-Free Hobo

Doesn't that sound like a ridiculous country song?  The thing about country music (of which, admittedly, I'm not a fan) is that it's supposed to be based on something real.  In my case, it's pretty accurate.

Suddenly and out of nowhere, I've become acquainted with a hobo.  Well, he's actually a really good friend of mine who, through a series of unfortunate events, has no fixed address and carries all of his belongings in two bags.  At the same time, through the same series of events, he came into a sum of money that essentially makes him debt-free.  So what does he do?  He elevates himself from a local hobo to a full-fledged transient.  As of today, he'll be riding the rails from one end of the country to the other for the next two months, with periodic stops across the border.

I'm still trying to process the situation.  I've known him to be a nomad for some time now.  Going to school in Montreal, randomly moving to Vancouver, periodically traipsing around the globe.  He had settled fairly well back in town for a long time.  But things happen, as they tend to do.

The reassuring thought is that he actually has a plan in the works that will hopefully kick in after the two months are up.  He's planning on going back to school.  Again.  The choices are in New England or England.  A good choice, either way.  I thought he was going to be a serial entrepreneur.  I guess he's going to be a professional student instead.

"I've been walkin' these streets so long, singin' the same old song"

No comments: