Saturday, February 09, 2013

I Think He's Trying To Tell Me Something

Snow.  Glorious snow.  We haven't had this much snow in the city in years.  Amazing to see, terrible to drive through.  Of course, I was a lazy git and didn't get the snow tires.  But no matter, after years of driving Bullitt with all-season radials I've mastered the art of sliding sideways.  Of course, Bullitt was a bit bigger than Rudy...

I guided Rudy out onto the main road and into the chaos.  You would think that they would plow a major artery by 8:00 am, but alas, not the case.  It wasn't as bad as a couple of weeks ago, when the road was sheer ice and I nearly slid into the middle of an intersection.  But it was still slippery.  To the point where I had everything pointed forwards but still managed some lateral movement.  It was in those moments that I noticed a yellow flashing light on my dash.  My little car comes equipped with electronic stability control, which I guess is a good thing.  But each time I started to slide, this is what would flash rapidly in front of me:

ESC

For a second, it really looked like my car was telling me to "ESCAPE!"  And I kind of had this instinctual urge to tuck and roll.  But I stuck it out and we made it to work eventually.

My office closed early in the afternoon to allow everyone the chance to get home in one piece.  I decided to try and make it to my parents' house.  The experience included rolling past jackknifed tractor trailers and creating my own lane on the highway, but all of that was compounded by the unavoidable ice build-up on my wiper blades, making the windshield a smeared mess.  I had to keep peering between lines of water and ice.  I was really worried at one point because I had some serious visibility issues, but I was almost at my exit.  I was going to pull over onto a side street and chip it off.  But wouldn't you know it, the moment I got off the highway, the ice fell off the wipers all at once, and I could see again.  If only that had happened fifteen minutes sooner.

"Slow down, nothing's gonna disappear, if you give yourself some room to move to the music you hear"

No comments: