Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Grand Prix

One of my coworkers came to Monaco last year to watch the Grand Prix.  I'm sure it would have been pretty thrilling, but given our timeframe, it probably would have made it more difficult to get through the city than it already was with the train strike.  We had to take a taxi to and from Villefranche-sur-Mer, but luckily our group was small and we fit into one.

Not a whole lot to see, except for the evidence of how the 1% of the 1% live their lives.  We paid our respects to Princess Grace and Prince Rainier at the cathedral.  We gaped at the yachts parked in the marina.  We took photos of the extremely fancy (and sometimes ironic) cars.

Funnily enough, the best part came once we had returned to Villefranche-sur-Mer and were shopping in the little stores by the port.  We found foie gras at a decent price in little glass jars.  I knew I was taking a risk of having my clothes smelling like duck liver by the time I got home, but it was totally worth it.

"Standing where I am now, standing up at all, I was used to feeling like I was never gonna see myself at the finish line"

No comments: