Monday, June 16, 2014

The French Connection

Marseille was by far the most surprising stop of the cruise.  I think it was because I had absolutely no expectations.  I didn't know any famous landmarks, I didn't know what it was known for (other than bouillabaisse).  It was just another stop in the south of France.

The old port is actually really nice.  We took a little tourist train up the hill to the giant cathedral, Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde, which again was a good call because the uphill was pretty intense.  Another very impressive religious building, another very impressive aerial view of a European port town.  However, a little off shore on a tiny island, you could see the Chateau d'If, which was the inspiration for "The Count of Monte Cristo".  I've never read the book before, but ironically it's been a part of several films I've seen a number of times (The Shawshank Redemption, V for Vendetta).

We didn't get to try the bouillabaisse, but I was able to do some shopping.  It turns out that Marseille is known for olive oil soap.  And, of course, I forgot about the Herbs de Provence.  I know, it's just herbs, but these are actually from Provence!

"I've got my mind made up, man, I can't let go"

No comments: