Friday, February 20, 2015

Woolloomooloo!

Woolloomooloo has become my new favourite place where I wished I lived ONLY so I could say the name on a regular basis. It has replaced the longtime former favourite, Rancho Cucamonga, which still runs a very close second because I once really had a legitimately possible chance to live there. Granted, Woolloomooloo's origins are a bit unsavoury, mostly due to the proximity to the naval base, but it's cleaned up in recent years.

After a couple of long plane rides, we've made it to Sydney. Within hours of arriving, I was able to witness my first funny thing: they take the whole “left-hand side” thing very seriously, and not just in driving. On the escalators at the train stations, you stand on the left hand side and walk on the right. Even on the Sydney Bridge, people were naturally walking/running on the left hand side of the path.  It's weird because everywhere else, even in Hong Kong, it's always been "stand left, walk right" on the escalators.  I guess everything is backwards here.  We have yet to see if the water swirls in the opposite direction, mostly because the toilets here are European designed, which essentially means that they dump water straight down at full force.  As much as that sounds effective, sometimes it's really not.

This is the furthest into the future that I've ever travelled (sixteen hours ahead).  It's also full blown summer temps so I've been a sweaty mess for most of the day, and my head is pretty mixed up right now.  Must sleep and reboot.

"Do you come from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder"

No comments: