Friday, September 12, 2003

Rest in peace, John Ritter. He was a genuinely funny guy.

So, here's a classic example of how funny my life is sometimes: I got a call from a recruiting agency, and the woman tells me that there's a position available at a food processing company and that she would like to talk to me about it so would I please come around on Thursday to meet with her. Sure. I write down the address, the time, and her name. It isn't until after I hang up that I realize I don't have her phone number. My call display is of no use since the number is blocked. I attempt to do some internet snooping, and finally I figure out which agency it is and discover that I had applied to this job at the end of July. Okay, no problem. I get to the place, talk to a different representative for a while, fill out some paperwork, then then woman (Christine) comes in and we have one of the fastest interviews ever. I swear, the woman was talking a mile a minute. Then I discover who their client is: Effem. For those of you unfamiliar with the confectionary industry, Effem is the one who makes M&M's, Mars, Snickers, etc. (I have probably gained a few new best friends at this very moment) Coincidentally, my friend Rehmat had worked there previously for one of her work terms. Coincidentally, she had just left last week for a six-week vacation in India. So much for insider information.

I spent the entire day downtown. No point in coming home and then going back again, especially after I found out about the interview. I killed time with Boni in the garden at Osgoode Hall, talking about heavy stuff like politics and the world at large. I think our consensus was that the world is in extremely poor shape, and that we both hoped that we would be around when the American empire finally collapses and the Chinese take over the world.

"Come and knock on our door..."

No comments: