Monday, May 03, 2004

Viral Chaos:

Sasser struck my workplace today, leaving most of us with little to do for the majority of the day. Funnily enough, my computer was the only one that escaped infection (hooray for Windows 95!). By mid-afternoon, the one IT guy at our site came around and patched things up.

Continuing on the topic of diseases (and, coincidentally, from my last entry), my boss got the results from her biopsy today...and as we had feared, it turned out positive. So on top of the silence in the office today from the lack of PC fans whirring, there was a sombre stillness. Oh...I suppose I should mention that she is already a breast cancer survivor, and so it's quite understandable when she mentioned last week that she would prefer NOT to go through chemo again. But it looks like that can't be avoided now. I was thinking today that she is the first person I've really personally known who has cancer. I know I talked about Vince last week, but I didn't really know that much about him, and had only talked to him sporatically. Then there are those distant family connections who have had leukemia and so on, but I didn't really know them personally either. Monica's been a really great boss, and since we have lunch together almost every day, I've gotten to know a lot about her and her life and her family. But she's a toughie, and I'm pretty confident that she'll be okay. It's just a little hard to watch sometimes and knowing that there's nothing you can do to help.

Sorry for the downer, friends. Hopefully next blog I'll have something more fun and peppy to write about.

"If I could find you now things would get better, we could leave this town and run forever"

No comments: