Monday, August 02, 2004

Mazel Tov!:

My first Jewish wedding. MUCH more entertaining than most. I mean, the ceremony is brief, there's all kinds of singing/chanting, you're constantly wondering if the teetering chuppah is going to fall down, and the bride and groom don't just stand there, they get to move about in circles and break things. Just to recap, this was my cousin Kimberly's wedding to the Moldovian dermatologist (Ben). It was a nice ceremony and a really nice reception. So many great creative ideas for this one: the ceremony and the reception were held in the same place and one after the other, they gave mixed CDs in three different languages (English, Chinese, and Russian) as parting gifts, they had gigantic glass vases of white calla lilies as centrepieces (which we got to take home), they had a list of the members of each table framed on the tables (which we also got to take home), and, here's the part I liked best, they had live music instead of a DJ. It was almost exactly like "The Wedding Singer", except it was a four-piece, with one guy on guitar, one guy on keyboards, one guy on sax/flute, and one female vocalist. She did an amazing rendition of "Time to Say Goodbye", which blew everyone away. If I ever get married, I would go with the live music for sure.

"The way you hold your knife, the way we danced 'til three, the way you changed my life, no no, they can't take that away from me"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha. Mine will be on ice!

Anonymous said...

lol,

Wow, interesting wedding/combination :) I totally agree on the live music bit...it's so much fun. Just a question of finding a good band......

M