Monday, January 05, 2009

Not Quite From Scratch

Today was the first day of my "new" new job.  This was seriously a different kettle of fish than any other start to a new job for me.  I don't think I've ever been more anxious and hesitant.  For every other job, it was brand spanking new, and I didn't know what was going to happen next.  The problem this time around was that I knew EXACTLY what could happen, and how it could all go south.  I knew the people I would be working with, I knew my boss, I knew what my job was going to involve, and I knew how much work I was going to have right from the start.  It's pretty daunting.  There's no grace period, no "I don't know, it's my first day".  Of course, nobody expected me or anyone else to be experts right from the start.  But once again, I'm doing two jobs: trying to figure out my new role while finishing up my old role, and with the added bonus of helping out other people who are either taking on duties that I used to do or were also finishing up their old roles that involved work that I was doing.  So, notice something?  My job has suddenly ballooned into the work of three people.

I need a break already.

"Out of the fire and into the fire again, you make me want to forget and start all over"

No comments: