Wednesday, May 29, 2013

From the Motherland

As I prepare to leave, I've found that I've learned quite a bit from this journey back to the motherland.
  • I can see why Chinese people drive the way they do.  But HK is apparently pretty civilized compared to Beijing.
  • I will never again complain about the cold.  My love of cold has become completely irrevocable through this experience.
  • I don't know how people in both HK and KL can wear skinny jeans and sweaters in 40 degree humidity.  It utterly baffled me.  And made me feel even MORE hot.
  • I'm starting to develop a certain opinion about Mainlanders (not a really good thing).
  • There's people.  Lots of people.  Everywhere.  All the time.
  • Despite the number of people, my brother told me that in the year that he's been living there, he has not yet seen my doppelgänger.  This news actually makes me feel great.  It's another indication that I am unique.
  • They are seriously paranoid about germs in Asia.  Which I guess has something to do with the number of people you could come into contact with at any given moment.
  • I have a better understanding of why my mother feels the need to carry toothpicks with her everywhere.
Having said all that, I've come to the conclusion that HK is a great place to visit, but definitely not a place to live for me.  And so the Asian Adventure comes to an end.  But I'm pretty sure that it won't be another 30 years before I come back.

"Out of place all the time, in a world that wasn't mine to take"

No comments: