Friday, March 21, 2003

I really miss Toronto. Well, I was there last weekend, but it was really surreal. I was cruising into the city towards Union Station, and I was looking at the skyline and suddenly I realized that this is it...this is home. I will never ever feel the same way about any other place on Earth. Even though I've been in Waterloo for the better part of the past 5 years, and it's not a bad place to be stranded in, it doesn't compare to this overwhelming feeling of belonging that I felt as the bus took me home. Don't get me wrong, I love travelling and experiencing the world (my last major journey was to France...that was absolutely amazing). I think everyone should feel that they belong somewhere. I've found my spot.

So, several hours from now, I'll be attending my Gradball (which, contrary to what certain other people think, is not a new kind of sporting event). It's one of those rare occasions where I can attempt to get pretty and wear dainty shoes that would cripple most men. But before I go and hide beneath a stratum of foundation and hairspray, a funny story to tell.

While watching TV, my roommate Marie and I encountered one of those great car commercials that try to generate that warm fuzzy feeling that only comes from cheesy nostalgia. These people are driving through a town that is populated by teenage prom-goers while Forever Young is playing in the background. As the commercial continues, they drive past girls in pastel gowns standing by the wall, guys dancing, mirror balls everywhere, and Marie's face takes on a look of confusion, and she asks me, "Why is everyone in high school so fat?"

Okay, it was funny to me, and if you see the commercial again, take a look. Especially at the girls by the wall.

"Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, are you going to drop the bomb or not?"

No comments: