Saturday, December 20, 2003

A Dirty Experience:

Eww, eww, eww. It's been several hours but I still feel yucky. My friends and I were having dinner at JJ Muggs last night. There was a table of men near us who were having some sort of Christmas party, I would assume, given the steady stream of libations that kept arriving at their table. During the course of our meal, Emily and I (since we were facing their direction) noticed that they kept looking over at us. We chose to ignore them. There were a couple of times when I believe I saw them taking photos of us. That alone was pretty creepy. Finally, they were getting up to leave, and a couple of them came up to our table. One approached my side and asked if he and his friends could buy us some drinks. I declined. He tried again, saying that it was Christmas and what's the big deal about them buying us drinks, and I declined again, and then got distracted by what was happening at the other side of our table. Another guy was trying to get Em to tell him her name. She was getting upset, but remained civil. Finally Ada said in a clearly annoyed tone, "Would you please just leave?" The guy seemed kind of indignant and said, "Why?" She replied, "Because I asked you nicely." He had no response for that, so he just left. The whole group of them stood around, possibly waiting for us to leave, however our waitress had not returned with the bill so we just sat there and ignored them until they left.

Now, I suppose the whole idea could be viewed as kind of flattering. And I guess it would have been, IF THE GUYS WEREN'T THE SAME AGE AS MY FATHER. Eww, eww, eww! I mean, I've passed by dirty old men in the street, but I've never actually had to deal with any in a family restaurant before. How old did they think we were? I still get carded at the liquor store, so I would guess that most people think I look younger than I really am. And I was with Laboni, who can still get away with paying child admission in some places.

That sound you hear is me shuddering violently.

"You can look but you can't touch, I don't think I like you much"

No comments: