Friday, December 19, 2003

Why Was He Born So Pitiful, Why Was He Born At All?:

I had the rare pleasure of being in a U of T dominated pub last night with a group of people from Mac and Ryerson. Needless to say, it felt a little strange. The place was packed with predominantly caucasian kids being somewhat rowdy, most likely celebrating the end of exams or whatnot. Every so often a group would start singing some kind of drinking or school spirit song. They were very enthusiastic, I'll give them that. The only problem was that I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Other than a "hey!" or a "yeah!", it was really hard to tell who they were singing about or why they were singing at all. I thought back to my days in Waterloo Engineering, and there was always that one song that everyone knew that would single out some poor shlub who, at the end of the song, would have to chug his or her drink while everyone chanted. The first time I heard that song was during Frosh Week, and I was able to pick up the words after the first rendition. So it was kind of disheartening to see and hear those guys last night who, despite being very vocal and very passionate about St. Mike's, didn't do justice to the grand tradition of university drinking songs. I don't know, maybe I'm being too particular about it. But I would imagine that people sing these songs not just to unite with their friends, but also other people who may eventually want to join in at some point.

In other news, I was at Joe Badali's last night for dinner, and we were walking to our table when I glanced to my right and saw Mike "Pinball" Clemens sitting at a nearby table with other very large men in suits who were most likely also football-related people. That was quite exciting in a "Toronto celebrity" kind of way. Sort of similar to the time I passed by Tie Domi in a parking lot after a Leafs game.

"I walks with you, I talks with you, I still can't help thinking"

No comments: