Friday, February 19, 2010

Because the Dutch Know How to Party

Tried to get an early start today. Early being 9-ish. I also tried my hand at the transit system starting from my cousin's house. I made it down to Lonsdale Quay and looked around before boarding the SeaBus. A Russian tall ship was docked there, and I took a few shots before I continued downtown.

The big news lately was that they had solved the "ugly fence" problem regarding the Olympic cauldron. I hustled over to the IBC and stood in the line for about an hour before getting as many interesting shots as I could. It does make you wonder why they didn't think of this solution in the first place, given that the staircase and platform were already there. But whatever. The flak that VANOC has been getting is maybe partially deserved. As far as I know, nobody has ever put an Olympic cauldron out in public before. They were always lit inside the stadium where almost nobody had access to it for photos, let alone close-up photos with people in the frame. But when you put something on public display, the opportunity for mischief increases, so security is definitely an issue. I just hope they stop griping about it now and move on.

After my brush with the flame, and grabbing a quick lunch, I made my way down to Richmond to check out the O Zone. I had been told a number of times to go to the Holland Heineken House, and since I was armed with my little orange backpack, I figured now was a good time to blend in. Especially in Richmond. I got to the gate at around 2:30, but they weren't letting anyone in until after 3:00. By sheer luck I followed the right people and ended up in line to get into the Heineken House before most people figured out where to go. It was a fun atmosphere inside, albeit all in Dutch. They were commentating the hockey game in Dutch too, but as Canadians we knew what was going on. I got a beer and some fries and sat in the stands to watch the ladies half pipe runs (the venue is usually a hockey arena). The beer garden was getting more and more crowded, and I had explored the whole house, so I decided to go out to see the rest of the O Zone. As I exited, I saw that the line was still huge. It seemed like they weren't letting anyone in until the end of the hockey game.

There was a concert stage, a skating oval, a lot of food tents, and the Richmond Library had been turned into the "International Living Room", where you could go in to sit and watch the events on TV, or use the internet, or just sit and read. I found out that Our Lady Peace was playing later on in the evening, so instead of going to Yaletown, I decided to stick around for the rest of the day.

By the end of the night, the field was packed with people for the concert. I left before the end, around 10:30, and as I walked out of the venue, the Heineken House was full, and even the line to get into the O Zone area was unbelievably massive. I was really glad I got in early.

And now (drumroll...), the moment we've been waiting for...

PHOTOS!


The line-up to see the flame (the end of the line is in the distance, at the top of the hill)


Me and the controversial cauldron


Outside the Heineken House


Inside the Heineken House beer garden (the people are staring at the big screen TV to the right of the frame)


The crowd that had gathered for the Our Lady Peace concert (the screen on the left is showing the men's figure skating medal presentation...the guy from the US had won!)

"Even the angels are losing sleep and the sidewalks are bare"

No comments: