Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Collective

I guess sci-fi geeks will know what I mean when I talk about "the collective". Everyone has the same thoughts, the same feelings, and acts as one. The way that we have become a collective over the course of the past week is just incredible.

Downtown Vancouver was a mob scene today. Everywhere I went, the lines were hours long. At first, I didn't think I wanted to sit in a public place for 2-3 hours for the hockey game, but after the puck dropped, I started looking for a place to park my butt and it was too late - every bar and restaurant was full up. As I wandered down Robson Street, there was a moment when an enormous cheer came from every doorway, and echoed up and down the street. I didn't have to ask to know what had just happened. I finally found a sports bar that would let me in. All the barstools were taken, but I was able to buy a beer and sit on the dance floor in front of the big screen, deafened by the stereo that was blaring the commentary. Every near miss, every bad call, and every spectacular save resulted in the exact same reaction from every person on the screen and in the establishment. Well, except maybe for the American that was sitting next to me. When it was all over, the mood was initially subdued. But out on the street, it was a different story.

Case in point:





Today, I heard two spontaneous renditions of "O Canada" - once before the game and once after the game. I can only hope that the good humour of the city is being collectively felt through the country.

"Learn from these streets, it can be bleak, accept no defeat, surrender, retreat"

No comments: