Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Weight (and Wait) of Gold

I don't know how much more excitement I can take. And I'm not even there yet.

Yesterday I was really pumped as I watched the women's moguls. But the look on Jennifer Heil's face as she found out that she had won silver just tore my heart out. You could tell how disappointed she was. But a medal is a medal. And we were on our way...

The pressure that's been on Canadian athletes for the past 34 years has been pretty intense. Montreal was before my time, and I don't know if I was really aware of the significance of it when I was 9 years old, watching the Calgary games. But ever since Vancouver/Whistler won the bid for 2010, that was when I felt the collective need of the country for our athletes to win. The "curse" that is constantly mentioned by the media could honestly be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Today, Kristina Groves was ecstatic for her bronze in the 3,000 m long track. Considering this isn't her best event, it's completely understandable. And this could be just one of five medals for her.

And just a few moments ago, Alex Bilodeau took the weight off of everyone's shoulders when he won our first gold in moguls. It was so amazing. I can't imagine how crazy it is in Vancouver right now.

Day 3, and already 3 medals, tied for 3rd place. And on a more personal note, I just found out that my friend gave birth on Thursday to a beautiful baby girl. I am literally dancing around my condo.

One more sleep for me. I have no idea how I'm going to do it.

"I got a little secret for ya, I never sleep when comes the night"

No comments: