Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sights (With No Evidence)

A beautiful day on the West Coast. After a bit of a late start this morning, I made it downtown at around 1:00 pm. Realizing that I had once again forgotten my camera, I was going to have to dust off the memory bank and put it to work.

I noticed a lot of remarkable things. First, and this is important, there is a zipline going across Robson Square. That has to be the most fun thing ever. Good news is it's free. Bad news is that the wait is about 5 hours. I think I'll save that for later.

There was a woman with nordic walking sticks that passed me on the street. The last time I saw those, I was in Denmark. Speaking of walking, there were at least 3 different people, at different points during the day, walking in front of me with leg casts and crutches. The most impressive was a girl who was in a full clubbing outfit, knee-high stiletto boot on one leg and knee-high cast on the other.

You have to wait in line for pretty much everything. I waited to get into the Live City Vancouver Downtown venue. I was in the Canadian pavillion when they brought out our Holy Grail, the Stanley Cup. I had to settle for a fuzzy cell-phone photo, but that's okay. I have a vague recollection that I took a photo of it once before. You can have your photo taken holding an Olympic torch but there are a few places where you can do that, so I can take the opportunity another time. I watched on the big screen as they awarded the gold medal to Maelle Ricker, and everyone in the venue started singing along with the national anthem. That was another interesting sight: people have been spontaneously singing "O Canada" on the street. Not just one or two lines, but the whole thing. And quite poorly in some cases, but it's the thought that counts.

As I was passing by Alberta House, they were showing the final race for women's 500 m speed skating, and I watched as Marianne St-Gelais won the silver. Nice birthday present.

I called it a night early and took the SeaBus back to North Vancouver. Tomorrow, another day out on the town. The camera is in plain view.

"Wanna leave but I've got to stay, and I'm wondering more everyday, Montreal to Hong Kong, where have all the good people gone?"

No comments: