Sunday, May 11, 2003

A Tribute to my Mother:
A little while ago someone told me that my mothering instincts are...I believe the word was "staggering". It got me thinking yesterday about how the hell I turned out this way. Looking back, I should really be the biggest spoiled brat on the planet. My mother did everything for me when I was growing up: cooking, cleaning, laundry, sewing, health care, etc. And she continues to do so. I never had a real job until I got to university. She always bought me things, and even now she always asks me if I have enough money and offers to give me more. At dinner she would always eat the less desirable parts of the chicken or fish and leave the tastier morsels for the rest of us. My mother dedicated her life to caring for me and my brothers ever since I was born, putting aside her career. These days, significantly fewer people can say that. So then, why am I not a horribly selfish, self-involved person? I guess what ended up happening is that I didn't take advantage of my mom, but I learned by her example. Another possibility would be that it's an inherited trait, in which case I have my mom to thank for that (partially) as well. I can only hope that I'll be as successful when it's my turn.

Happy Mother's Day to all your moms. Please give her a hug for me.

"I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life"

No comments: