Saturday, March 27, 2004

No TV and No Beer Make Karen Something Something...:

Rogers has some 'splaining to do. Not that it really matters to me that our cable has been out for the entire day. I know I probably watch too much TV as it stands. And yeah, I got a lot of stuff done today, which could be attributed to fact that the only thing on the tube was fuzzy snow. I'm just glad I got stuff done.

Like taxes. One of the easier returns I've done in a while, although it was never really that difficult to start with. The one thing that was different was the fact that I could do it over the phone for once. Last year I got through half of my return before the recording told me that I'm not eligible to do my taxes over the phone, and would I please submit it using the paper method or the online method. A good twenty minutes of punching 1 for yes or 0 for no. Goddammit.

I had coffee today with Jocelyn, and we were talking about how the majority of her Laurier friends only talk about one thing when they get together these days: weddings. Because the majority of her Laurier friends are in the process of getting married. Which is something that's happening to a lot of people our age. Because it's one of those things that happens near our age. And yet, neither of us could even begin to imagine what it would be like to be at that stage in life. Well, okay, so both of us lack that one crucial element that would allow us to prepare for the mere possibility of it, but that's beside the point. I started thinking about how we're at the beginning again, when a lot of things in life are all shiny and new. Because the first twenty or so years of our lives revolved around the one thing: school. No matter what else happened in our lives, there was school. It was the routine, the thing that we became accustomed to. Now that school is over (for some of us), everything is going to be a first again. First real job, first car, first home, first (and theoretically only) wedding, first child. And the funny thing about this is that little to none of the things that we formally learned in our first twenty years of life have really been designed to prepare us for any of it. I know this isn't a new or revolutionary thought, and I'm sure most if not all of you have already come to the same conclusion. I'm just all scared-excited again, like on my first day of school or my first night in residence at Waterloo. Who knows what will happen next...

"I've found a reason for me to change who I used to be"

No comments: