Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Making Sense

Alcohol of the Day: Samuel Smith's Organic Wheat Beer

It was the nicest day ever so far.  It was even...dare I say it...hot.  I wore my Coldplay t-shirt as a symbol of me missing the concert back home.  I was so sad when I found out that they would be in town when I wasn't.  It would be the first one I've missed in the past five years or so (I've been to the last 3 concerts).  But, as my coworker said to me, "I don't feel sorry for you."

So, I've stayed optimistic up to the very last moment, but unfortunately I've had to miss the first Olympics event.  I bought tickets to the women's football match for today in Glasgow (US vs. France and North Korea vs. Colombia).  Because of a SNAFU, the North American ticket agent that I bought the tickets from weren't able to mail the tickets to me.  I have to pick them up from the Will Call office in London.  The problem is that the office wasn't open when I was in London.  And even then, I was in London for about 2 hours between flights, so there wouldn't have been a chance to get them anyway.  I've been trying to get them to send the tickets to my hotel in Glasgow, but there was just no response.  Oh well.  I'll have to deal with them once I get there.  It turns out that we didn't miss too much anyway, other than the hour-long delay at the beginning the North Korea-Colombia game when the North Korean players refused to start the match because they had displayed the South Korean flag next to their names.  I can appreciate why they'd be upset.  A bunch of people have asked me if I'm American.

While wandering around the Kelvingrove Gallery and Museum, we tried to make sense of the layout.  It was kind of confusing, transitioning from art to displays about nature to archeology to technology and then back to art.  It was a nice building, but we just didn't get what they were doing.

Why does everything close at 6:00 pm in Glasgow??  The cultural things close around 5:00, which is pretty typical.  But then you only have an hour or so to check out the shops and then it's done for the day.  I guess the only thing left to do is eat and/or drink, but you can only do either for so long.

"Took a car downtown and took what they offered me"

No comments: