Saturday, July 28, 2012

Some Close Calls

Alcohol of the Day: Pimm's

It was a little dicey today for travelling.  Breakfast took longer than we expected, and there were no taxis available, so we had to sprint to the station to catch our train to London.  I had two minutes to pick up our tickets and jump onto the train.  Luckily, we made it and now we're here!

Then, once we had found my brother's friend's flat, I took off to the ticket agent will call office to sort out this craziness with my tickets.  I still hadn't heard a word from them so my worst fear was that they had mailed the tickets to Glasgow after all.

Once I got there, I queued up for a little while, then when I got to the desk I told my sad story.  They took me to "the theatre", which was a waiting area for people who were having issues.  I saw maybe 10 or so people sitting around while agents were running in and out of a door.  A woman came and wrote down my issues and went through the door.  I was sitting in front of a guy wearing a Blue Jays cap, so I knew immediately that he's from Toronto.  I asked him how long he'd been waiting, and he told me that this was his fifth time in the waiting room in the last six days.  It would appear that the entire thing is an organizational nightmare, and they had messed up his order and so far were just unable to get it fixed.  Today, he had come to the office early.  They sent him off saying that they would call him when they found his tickets.  He hung around the area for a little while before heading back to his house (he lives in London).  Then he found a message from them saying that they had his tickets, so he went all the way back.  He got his tickets just before I got there at around 1:00, but there was one set of tickets for mens' swimming that had already happened this morning.  So now he was waiting to find out what they could do for him.

The scary thing was that while he's been waiting for the past six days, he'd been hearing a lot of stories that were even worse than his.  There was a guy from New York who'd found out the other day that his tickets had been mailed to New York the day before.  He had to call someone quickly to go and pick up the package and send it back immediately.  A family of four from Sydney had arrived and their tickets weren't here and the mother became so frustrated that she burst into tears.  For the Toronto Guy, he found out earlier that the tickets he had requested to be mailed to his house were mailed to another person with the same name as him in the US.  So now I was getting really nervous.  There was a reason why nobody was answering my calls and e-mails.

Finally, after a little more waiting, and after the Toronto Guy had resolved his swimming tickets issue, they came out with my tickets.  Everything was there, which was a relief, and the only problem I had was that they had given me two badminton tickets that were not together.  They tried to find seats that were next to each other, but they didn't have any left.  I figured it was okay, since we were only separated by four seats and will probably be able to work out a switch at the venue.  It could have been worse.  Toronto Guy had two tickets that were separated by four sections.

"I told ya I was trouble, you know that I'm no good"

No comments: