Sunday, July 22, 2012

More Calamity Involving My Feet

Alcohol of the Day: Kingfisher (I'll explain...)

Okay, so I was one of those people who saw "Titanic" not once, not twice, but four times at the theatre.  And once on a six-storey tall IMAX screen.  Looking back, I can't really explain why.  Now, I think it was because it was just so ironically sad.  Not the fictional love story, but just the whole situation.  We all knew how it was going to end.  It's like "Apollo 13".  The climax wasn't really climactic.

We went to the new Titanic Belfast museum in the Titanic Quarter.  They built it right on the slipway where the ship was launched.  It looks small from the outside, and from above it looks like a white star.  But inside, they packed a lot of stuff in, and the majority of the exhibit has nothing to do with the sinking.  So many touchscreens, so state-of-the-art...including a 6-minute cable-car ride.  By the end of it, the geek in me was even more sad.  The engineering of the thing was really impressive.  If only...

Oh yeah, and it reminded me that my parents had just landed in London a couple of days ago and got on their cruise boat in Southampton.  More irony.

That was pretty much it for Belfast.  Yeah, we didn't fit in too many things, but we walked a lot.  There's two reasons for this: 1) it's a pretty walkable city, and 2) I had no idea how to navigate the bus system.  But walking was fine, until it started to hurt today.  I pressed on, thinking that it was just because my feet had swelled and my shoes were a little tight.  And yes, my feet had swelled, but it caused toes to rub together the wrong way during the walking and I found out later that I was bleeding.  Those who saw me a few weeks ago know that I had issues with my right foot stemming from infected bug bites and swelling (again).  This time it was my left, so at least it's balanced.

After the quickest flight ever (we started landing after 10 minutes in the air), we're now in soggy Glasgow.  Upon the recommendation of the cabbie and my guide book, we had dinner down the street from our hotel at Mother India (hence the Kingfisher).  Who would have thought I'd be eating Indian in Glasgow?

"But I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more"

No comments: