Friday, October 10, 2003

I hate confrontation. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. People who know me probably know this already. Why can't we all just get along? But what I hate even more is confrontation with people I consider to be my friend. This doesn't mean that I won't do it, but I get this pit-of-the-stomach kind of feeling (like I'm about to be sick or something). And I hate it. It's like we're attacking each other. I don't like attacking people when it isn't in a joking, "I don't really mean it" kind of way. It gets way too personal for me. More proof that I don't have the stomach for business.

Hooray for nepotism. I appear to have a job. How? My dad appears to have gotten the cultural centre job. But it's just a verbal agreement, he hasn't signed anything yet. Although, even if it were a written contract, it doesn't mean anything's written in stone. Things can change all the time. I suppose once he gets his first paycheque, then we'll celebrate the job. Oh, and the way this affects me is that I'm going to be his "staff". Yay, monkey work! Well, it's stuff like taking notes at meetings, doing some spreadsheet analysis, creating powerpoint presentations, and such. However, in the words of my father, "THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU STOP LOOKING FOR A JOB." Well, yeah, I don't plan on being a lackey for the rest of my life. This is more of a temporary financial solution while I'm between jobs.

Here's my funny story of the day: I was looking at the cultural centre's website to see what the board of directors (a.k.a. my dad's bosses) look like, and I came across the group photo. One of the directors is a lady who's name is (and I'm NOT kidding) Dr. Dong Dong-dong. I asked my dad if this was for real, and it was. Her last name could have been spelled Tung, and her given name is literally "winter winter". All I can say is, why??

"If I sorted it out, if I knew all about this one thing, wouldn't that be something?"

No comments: