Thursday, September 08, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 1

It was a harrowing moment at work, when I thought that I wouldn't be able to leave in time to get downtown and rush the opening night U2 documentary "From the Sky Down".  At the last moment, everything came together, and I tore out of there.

My voucher wasn't eligible for the actual Gala screening at Roy Thomson Hall, but I was more than happy to stand in the rush line at the Elgin.  It was a relatively short line, and I was able to get in and go upstairs to the balcony.  It was surprisingly empty!  I was able to get a seat in the front row.  As the intros started, I very slowly started to pull my camera out of my bag.  The second the director said "Mr. The Edge and Mr. Bono", I started snapping away while everyone around me went bananas.

The woman sitting next to me was a bit put out, saying that the volunteers outside had lied and said that nobody from the film was coming to the screening.  I had to explain that it's the policy not to make any promises or declarations, because you never know if they're going to change their mind and go to a party instead.  Besides, it's more of a pleasant surprise, a bonus on top of getting into the film in the first place.

The film was pretty good.  They overdid the "band on the verge of breaking up" bit, but watching the process of writing Achtung Baby was amazing.  Not to mention seeing archival footage of the band in their crazy hair days.

"Is it getting better, or do you feel the same?"

No comments: