Tuesday, September 13, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 5

After a day at work, it was a bit rough to start my final shift in the evening. However, it had to be the most entertaining one of all. First off, I was a little bummed that I would miss the premiere of "50/50" due to my volunteering commitments, but it was okay since I was going to try and see it the next day. I would have liked to have seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen though. When the movie was letting out, I ran into a snowboarding friend as well as my box office saviour, who loved the film and was going to go see JGL at the "hitrecord" event. I knew how much aggravation she had to endure to get those tickets, so I hoped it would turn out to be really good.

The next film, "Ten Year", was having a red carpet, with all the girlies screaming for Channing Tatum and Justin Long, but strangely the film hadn't gone rush. We had some issues with fans bursting through the line to try and get a better shot of the stars arriving on the carpet, so the line supervisor had to herd them out while I tried to usher legitimate patrons in. Once we had reestablished order, I figured enough was enough and put my foot down, sending industry members to the ticket holders line regardless of whether they had been let through in the past or not. Then a couple of guys showed up, wanting to join the red carpet party. The shorter guy kept saying that they were "Ben and Scott". The supervisor replied "Scott who?" The taller guy laughed, and when we both looked up, we realized it was Scott Speedman, who wasn't in the film but had a ticket to the screening. The ticket holders' line was just starting to go in, so I suggested they go towards the head of the carpet and see if anyone could help them out. The supervisor offered to let him wait by the barricade but he was cool about it and said it wasn't a big deal. They walked away, but a few minutes later I saw them next to the red carpet anyway. I continued to laugh all night about the fact that I had shut down Scott Speedman.

Once the film had gone in, Justin Long came back out to the carpet and spent an hour with the hangers-on, taking photos, signing autographs, talking on someone's cell phone, and giving out random hugs. The social networks must have been buzzing because a scattering of people kept showing up throughout the hour, including a couple of girls in their PJs who most likely lived in the building across the street.

The final film of the night, "The Incident", was thankfully incident-free. In fact, we let everyone in, including the few who were rushing with passes and vouchers, in record time. Tear-down of the carpet was equally quick. Once we were signed out, I made my way to my friend's condo, where she had kindly let me crash for a few hours before I would start my most serious day of festing.


"I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night"

No comments: