Friday, September 16, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 9

Day 8 was my ONE day off, and I actually considered signing up for another shift, but then came to my senses.  But what did I do at home?  I sat on my couch and watched a movie.  I must be crazy.

Today after work I waited for my friends to stop by and pick up a pair of tickets for "Sleepless Night", which is a French crime thriller, I think.  An interesting choice, but would make sense for them, being a French teacher and a police officer.  I have yet to hear the reviews from them, but I had heard from others that it was a good film.

I made my way downtown and had dinner before getting in line at the Ryerson for "Violet & Daisy".  I ran into a volunteer friend and ended up standing in line with him.  Once we were inside, sitting in the first row of the balcony, I glanced down and thought I saw my film fest friend.  I texted her and sure enough, she was in the 6th row, next to the woman who was throwing t-shirts into the crowd.  Watching people react to free stuff is funny.  But I have to admit, I'm guilty of it too.  I can't stand diet soft drinks but when presented with a free one I still took it.  It was so gross but I couldn't bring myself to let it go to waste.  Damn my upbringing!

The film had gotten reviews both ways (some really loved it and some really hated it), so I tried to keep an open mind.  It is definitely different, but I really liked it.  The film is about two teenage assassins (Alexis Bledel as Violet and Saorise Ronan as Daisy), who are assigned a hit that doesn't go quite the way they planned.  James Gandolfini is so great in this!  There's a lot of unexplained imagery too, which the director wouldn't get into during the Q&A, leaving it open to your own interpretation.  But, he said, everything you need to explain it is in the film.  So crap, I have to watch this again!  I especially loved the use of music, which included an obscure Sarah McLachlan track that I absolutely love and can actually play on the piano.

"And fate has led you through it, you do what you have to do"

No comments: