Sunday, September 11, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 4

A moment for 9/11...

The action packed weekend continued, starting with another shift at the Ryerson.  I was on time for my shift but there was already a significant rush line in front of the theatre.  They were waiting for "Take This Waltz", about which I had heard some positive buzz but didn't realize it would be this popular on a Sunday morning.  While the ticketholders crowd went in, I ran into my friend who had stood in the box office line up for me, and I saw a couple of familiar volunteer faces here and there.

Second film of the day was a bit torturous, since I had to repeat "Martha Marcy May Marlene" umpteen times, but at least I eventually got it rolling off the tongue.  It impressed a number of people, actually.  There was a red carpet, featuring the Olsen twins' little sister Elizabeth, who eerily is just a taller version of them.  Sarah Paulson was there too, who was great in "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" which I watched every week until they lost out to the popularity of "30 Rock".  I heard Hugh Dancy was also there but I missed his entrance.  Juliette Lewis was considerably late, given that most of the fans had already left the carpet by the time she got there.

At one point, there was a couple standing in front of me, who I will name "Guy with Hat and Blonde Girl".  A couple of girls in the rush line came up to them and excitedly asked the Guy with Hat if they could take a photo with him.  I tried my very best sly look, but I had absolutely no idea who he was.  Best guess: soap actor?  The other volunteer and I were so tempted to ask the two girls, but we missed our chance and they disappeared into the theatre.

After my shift, I had some time to grab a snack and shop at the mall before getting in the rush line for "Anonymous".  Fortunately, someone came around giving away tickets to the film.  I was able to get one and head over to the ticket holders line.  Then I realized that Ihad my gold Visa card with me, so I stepped into the priority line.  I was let into the lounge downstairs to wait for a while and have first dibs on a seat.  There was a station set up in the lounge where they were making FRESH Lindor chocolates.  The round shells were set up, and the girl in the chef's outfit was piping milk chocolate into the centres.  Another chef girl had a tray and offered me a chocolate.  It was so melty...  They also had all the other flavours set up in martini glasses, and you just helped yourself.  So, this is how the other half lives.

An announcer came on the PA and told us that the previous film was running late by about half an hour, so we'd be delayed getting into the theatre.  That was fine with me, I was inside and sitting down.  As the time drew closer, lines were forming by the staircases.  The moment the PA lady started talking, there was the most ridiculous mad dash to the theatre that I had ever seen.  For goodness sake people, there's no need to kill yourself to get to your seat!  I ended up in the front row of the balcony whilst avoiding loss of life or limb.

The director of the film, Roland Emmerich, is more famous for films like "Independence Day", "Godzilla", and "The Day After Tomorrow", so for him to do a British period piece about Shakespeare was kind of strange.  Essentially, it could go either way - really well or gigantic train wreak.  I think it went well.  He even had an opportunity to blow something up.  I stuck around for the Q&A, even though it was fairly late.  Someone asked Joely Richardson what it was like to act in a film with her mom, Vanessa Redgrave.  She was gracious in her answer, gently pointing out that they didn't actually get to act together, since they were playing the same person at different ages (Queen Elizabeth I), but they did get to hang out in each other's trailer, go to costume fittings together, and compare wigs, so it was fun.  Perhaps not the most thought-out question ever.

"I'm not the kinda girl to get messed up with you, hello"

No comments: