Saturday, September 17, 2011

TIFF Diaries: Day 10

Just when I thought I could sleep in, I checked online in the morning to see if "Albert Nobbs" had gone back on sale, and it had.  CRAP!  So I called the box office to see how many tickets were actually available, to gauge my chances if I went downtown now.  Alas, the automated voice lied to me (My wait time is four minutes? Yeah right!), so I hung up, got myself together and rushed downtown.  There was no line-up at the box office, and I held my breath as the ticket agent looked it up.  Finally he said there was a ticket available!  I handed over my voucher and he told me that he tries to remain emotionless until he's sure that it's good news.  A good practice, I think.

So now I had a ton of time to kill before my first screening of the day.  I went back to my standard Starbucks breakfast and surfed the internet until the parking meter ran out.  Then I moved my car to a more central location (for the theatres I was going to today) and wandered around a quiet Eaton Centre.  I ended up at Indigo, surfing again (more specifically, trying to get caught up on my blogs).  Finally, I got in the ticket holders line, somewhat early but still not the first one there.

"Moneyball" was a surprise for me, in that I didn't think I would be able to get a ticket.  But the Elgin is a large theatre, and it was the last Saturday of the festival, which is typically when things start winding down.  I knew given that it was a Brad Pitt film to keep my expectations slightly lowered, but the premise of the film was kind of interesting by itself (Math and baseball?  What??).  It was a really great film!  Both Brad and Jonah Hill were at times hilarious and serious, and the girl who plays Brad's daughter is a cutie, and a good musician.  The really great thing was that the most climactic part of the movie ACTUALLY happened in real life (I looked it up later).  It all takes place in 2002, which is fairly recent memory.  It started to come back to me as I kept watching.  Definitely see this film, even if you don't like baseball.  Or math.  Or Brad Pitt for that matter.

After the film, I wandered around while I waited for my friends to arrive.  We had to correct a minor parking issue, but we got it sorted out, then went to Salad King for dinner.  Back at the Ryerson for "Albert Nobbs", a film that had a really interesting plot (a woman in the 1800s has disguised herself as a man for over 20 years to be employed as a butler at a fancy hotel in Dublin), but it didn't really execute it as well as I had hoped.  Glenn Close was fabulous, as usual, and at times I really forgot that she was a woman.  Everything else that happened was...muddled, I think is the best word.  We were all left a little confused in the end.

I'm starting to forget what sleep feels like...

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle, life is a maze and love is a riddle"

No comments: